Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Smartwatches

I wasn't am extreme early adopter of the Pebble Smartwatch, but I have owned one for over a year now.

I bought it just before Android Wear was announced.  The announcement of Wear initially caused me to question my purchase, but the Pebble team kept adding features to stay competitive with the Google options.

My overall opinion is that it is definitely an optional accessory, and not a necessity.  Getting a smartwatch will not vastly improve your life and free you from the control your smartphone has over you.  You will still mostly pick up your phone to do the same things you use it for now just as frequently as you already do.

I've found the best feature of the Pebble is not missing calls or important messages when your phone is on silent or vibrate during the day.  This had been a problem for me for as long as I have carried a phone in my pocket.  I used to use a belt clip, and I would have phantom vibration all of the time from it.

One of the hottest topics with smartwatches is battery life.  I never worry about charging the Pebble anymore.  When it says it is low, I plug it in and then go back to not worrying about it.  I don't need another device that I have to worry about charging everyday or it will be useless.




No comments:

Post a Comment