Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Speculation in collectibles

I was in a conversation recently about speculation on Magic cards.  An argument was being made that no one can predict the potential price of a card long term, and that they are a good investment.
I agree that you can usually make a profit in the short term, but people forget how bad things have gotten for many collectibles.

My comic book collection has almost no resale value.  People my age across the country have the same collections, and no one wants them.  There was a boom in collecting in the 90s after some high profile comics sold for significant amounts.  But that was for old comics that are now rare.  Nothing is rare anymore.  I looked on eBay, and you can get a black bagged copy of the Death of Superman for under $10.  I found my copy in a bargain bin for $1.

So I don't think 4 copies of Tarmagoyf today is going to pay for my sons college education.  On the other hand, a couple of  Black Lotuses might...

Tarmagoyf for sale on eBay

No comments:

Post a Comment